Sunday, June 23, 2013

Short shorts

So I wanted to ask everyone -- how do you feel about short shorts? How short is too short, and based on what criteria? What are your OWN unwritten rules.

I have heard "rules" regarding one's age and height, as to how short a pair of shorts ought to be. I've always been a rule breaker in that sense, however, I tend to lean towards shorts in the 4-5 inch range. I don't love Bermuda shorts (I'm 5'3 people) and I feel a bit self-conscious about "short" shorts (3 or so inches) because I have rather muscular legs.



So a week ago I decided to buy myself a pair of these garden vine shorts from Madewell. I just loved the print, plus Madewell was having a 40-off new items plus free shipping discount. It was impossible to resist! (J. Crew.com .... are you listening?)(

I was able to correctly figure out my size, which was the size I wear in J. Crew shorts. I'm just not certain I love the length of the shorts. I saw that I liked them better with platform espadrilles to elongate my legs, but I did find myself tugging at the hem most of the day after sitting for more than 5 minutes.

What are your thoughts on these and other "short" shorts?

6 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Lala -- thanks for your reply. I really like these shorts, too. The print I mean. I am on the fence about the length and making them work.

      Delete
  2. I am 5'7.5 and I like the 5 inch inseam and recently tried a pair of 7 inch inseam from J Crew Factory which may become the new shorts I go for. It feels like the 4-5 inch inseam is great but I don't like the amount of leg that shows when I sit down. It is all about confidence, if you feel confident go for it but I don't want to spend my days in shorts pulling them down or laying something on my lap while sitting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Nisha

      I hear what you are saying. As I mentioned, 4-5 inch is my "go to." I normally don't buy/wear shorter than my comfort zone, but this particular pair was way cute!

      Thanks for posting!

      Delete
  3. I agree it's all about confidence. I hate having to fuss with my clothes even if the outfit looks good, seems that's when the clothes are wearing you. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Tiffany--

      Yes! I agree -- wear the clothes but don't let the clothes wear YOU! My inner Tim Gunn always whispers this in my ear, but as I mentioned in the last reply, sometimes you have to make exceptions! I'll keep you all posted as to how that works out!

      Delete